2.26.2010

Doing my part.

I have an aversion to produce bags. You know, the flimsy plastic bags that you use to gather 6 apples so they don't go all rolling around in the cart? I hate them. They never separate for me, they clog up the bag drawer in the kitchen, and no matter how many I "save" because surely there's a use for them in the future, they just clog up the kitchen and stick to everything and I hate them. Huge run-on sentences won't even begin to help describe my dislike for these bags.

Are you feeling me here, people?

Most of the time, I've resorted to just throwing the produce in my basket sans-bag; much to the disdain of the checkout people. I don't like dirty looks, I hate the stupid plastic bags, so you can imagine my squeal of delight when I came across this terrific find:
Produce Bags: Set of 5 - Click Image to Close
Breathable mesh, drawstring, perfect size, flexible fabric. They're terrific for groceries and I imagine would be great for travel as they're so lightweight and you could easily see what's in the separate containers. I love the colored tabs (just fun), the fact that I can wash the produce directly in the bag, and that they're machine washable. SCORE!

There are loads of different reusable bags out there and I'd highly encourage you to find your own fave. This particular set is by flip&tumble (google for local sources) and ran just over $10. I'm sure the crafty folks out there will be able to whip up their own set for much less.

6 comments:

Sarah said...

omg - love these. i so agree on the plastic produce bags. so wasteful.

thanks for the tip!

courtney said...

fabulous! I have the same issue with produce bags, not to mention the environmental concern...

lizcannon27 said...

ohhhh!!! those are MUCH cuter than the ones i made. mine were made out of tulle with a drawstring for closure... similar, but not as sturdy as those. cuper cool!!!

jen said...

why do we get such dirty looks when we put the produce directly in the cart? i know it's gross, if you EAT your food without WASHING it, but c'mon? it's not worth the crappy bag. i need these, they are too cute/practical. thanks for the tip, kasar!

Laura said...

You blog is really cool! Like Julie & Julia but better because you also inspire me w/ your craftiness. I came on to see if you had any restaurant reviews/recommendations - see fb post. Your pics look so artsy - esp the brussel sprout ones (I have also discovered an adult liking for the mini cabbage!). A+. I wish we lived closer so I could see you more than once every 10 years....

lauren and brad said...

Those are so cute! I am one of those that puts my produce straight into the cart. oopsy! sometimes I will reuse plastic sacks for the produce. (the more sturdy, target-style kind). Great idea Les!