12.17.2010

Cloudland Farm - yup...another farm.

Was it just two we went to while you were here, Trish? 
Haha: "just" 
During your 36 hour visit, we had you at more farms than our 4 months of NH residence!

My CSA farm.
One of Jamie's classmates had Facebooked something enthusiastic about joining a meat/egg Community Sponsored Agriculture (CSA) in the fall and it piqued my interest to no end. We had had a short-lived relationship with an all-veggie CSA in San Francisco, but our constant travels for work & play led to many delicate specimens perishing prior to our consumption. Sadness. Wasteful. Cancelled. 

The idea of 2 dozen eggs and a bunch of different kinds of meats (flash-frozen) was intriguing. Once a month, I'd either go out to the farm or meet the farmer at their church across the street from our place (convenient). I'd pick up 2 packs of the most delightful eggs (different colors! different sizes! SO YUM.) and a variety of meats; definitely stretching my limited knowledge on how to prepare meals...lots of googling to figure out how to best prepare stuff. Regardless of the dedication to research, the product would keep and I'd have time to figure it all out.

Sold.

Gobble, gobble.
This was taken a couple of weekends before Thanksgiving...EEP.
The farmers are kind, have love for Tuck, and are fully enthusiastic about the farm's history and how they strive to grow the healthiest and most natural animals. It smells so healthy (or just natural?) up there. The air is different, the sun shines brighter, and it just.feels.good. 

The main building where you can dine Thursday or Saturday nights.
Sample Menu Here.
Historically, I've gone back and forth on how I feel about meat consumption. It's spanned complete vegetarianism, ovolactorianism, etc. Sometimes based on trending habits of my peers (read: middle school), but other times it was based on what just grossed me out at the time. The past 4 years, however, I've been running  a consistent "eat-everything-in-front-of-me-nism" program. While I typically gravitate toward non-meat meals, I happen to live with someone who doesn't quite consider it lunch or dinner otherwise. But if left to his own devices, it'd be pizza/burrito/fill-in-name-of-fast-food-menu-item-here. By participating in the Cloudland Farms CSA, I'm able to play with intriguing recipes, self-educate, while providing Kanter with something more substantive than chicken fingers every night.

Moooo.
Trish made friends with the guard dog.
He LOVED her.
I'll eat your face off!!

5 comments:

Holly said...

Did you know a chicken's egg color is the same as its ear color? Martha Stewart taught me that...

Leslie said...

Um...should've prefaced that question with this one:
"did you know chickens have ears?"

Holly said...

How do you think they hear when you say "Here chickie chickie"??

trish said...

he was a sweet old dog! p.s. i would definitely have been up for farm # 3 if the opportunity presented itself.

Tara Vorhes said...

Awesome! How cute is that farm!? Eggs must be the best thing for a CSA - they are so easy to use up.

And hopefully they have chickens with spotted ears so you can get cute flecked eggs :)