9.01.2009

Chicago Day # 19.

Having a terrific time here, still biking through the streets of Chicago like a crazed maniac. I felt compelled to scope out how many miles I had biked, and it appears that I completed 22.3 today. The Olympic triathletes do 24.8! Watch out world record leaders, if the competition were based on how-many-times-you-fall-off-yourbike-at a stop sign-because-the-pedals-are-too-far, I'd be a solid winner by a long shot. These moments of public humiliation are beyond worth the good time I have been having.
Tried to follow some local bikers.
Got left in their dust.
gladiator sandals = proper biking shoes.
Hudson Ave = Awesome.
went through some industrial areas.
Checked out some gorgeous architecture.
Or at least I assumed there was some gorgeous architecture under there.
Didn't pay to park.
the bike wanted to see some cupcakes.
met up with katherine @ tilli's
a self-proclaimed lincoln park hot spot.
(tilli's is the hot spot, not katherine. #PointofClarification)

And on another traveling note, Amy safely arrived at her host family's home in Barcelona. Here's an excerpt from the email I received:
......To get in the building you have to like step through this "hole" (really it's a door but you have to step in sideways with my suitcase and like leap into it cuz it's so small ). They live on the 3rd floor (so I carried allll my bags for one flight of VERRRY NARROW stairs, and then met Ana and discovered that (luckily) there is an elevator in the building!!! (scooooore! ) oh and just to give you a visual of how tiny things are here, the elevator could baaaarely fit me, Ana, and all my luggage... had to pile them on each other so it could all squeeze in! Oh and guess what.... the family speaks ONLY ESPANOL!!!! Like they know a couple words of English. AHHH!!! I've never spoken so much spanish in such a small amount of time. But it's cooool. I'm sharing a bedroom with the other girl, she hasn't come yet so I got to pick which side I wanted. hehehe. I thought I scored cuz I had the "window" but when I drew the curtain, it's actually just a hole in the wall to the next room............
Oh, the crazy good times that girl is going to have.

7 comments:

devon lorraine ... said...

ahhhh. love this town. but love my house guest more!

lauren and brad said...

yes! and yes! i love your crazy ways AND your sister's!!!

Christine said...

Oh man, the Barcelona stuff brings back so many memories! My mother was seriously scared when she came to visit me and saw the elevator. We also had to step over a huge thing to enter the apt. building. Really hard to describe. I don't even know how weird steps like this even pass inspections.

Milla sent me cupcakes from Swirlz for my b-day this year. They were gorgeous. What kind did you have?

Unknown said...

it was a great afternoon! and those cupcakes... YUM

Sarah said...

love how you changed your whole blog to show the chi-town love

KateKwiltz said...

That ivy-covered graystone on Wells? I wanted to live there for YEARS (I lived behind it when I first moved here). It has the most adorable little garden in back...
(sigh)

Holly said...

Are you wearing a tie while bike riding?