3.18.2013

Smash Putt Flashback

Smash Putt, returning to Seattle for six weeks, is an interactive art exhibit, a miniature golf course that stretches the limits of the childhood game. It's also meant only for those 21 and over — alcohol is available. There's a hole where a screwdriver destroys your ball if you go into the wrong hole, lots of plywood crafted into obstacles, plenty of astroturf, and overall just strange weirdness.

A random stationary bike attached to nothing.
Jamie maintained this confused look all night long. 

We met up with a couple of Jamie's co-workers and some of their friends and their significant others and had a grand ole time making our way around each spot. There was an ongoing wager to do a shot if you had the most strokes per hole and luckily, I totally rock at mini golf so Jamie never had to do an extra one for me. But when I tied for last at one of the holes, I got to confirm that the distended belly got me out of any obligation to split the losing 1.5oz of booze (and to confirm what one girl had been suspecting all along - "I knew it!!"). Come to think of it, I don't think Jamie had to do one for himself either.


Really hard to photograph this one.
It's the Mission Impossib-hole where a container is filled with smoke and you have to hit your ball through lasers to the hole at the other end.
If your body hits the laser, it makes a huge alarm sound and you lose a stroke.
Imagine players doing their best Catherine Zeta Jones while trying to play golf. 

Spin the wheel and scratch/sniff.
Guess which smell you got and try to get your ball in the hole.
If you guessed correctly, it would go directly into the hole at the end.
If not, womp womp....the ball would go wayward and you lost several strokes.
Stanks: grape soda, garlic, taco truck, propane, popcorn
They all smelled gross.

The gun galley.
Three air pressure machine-gun-like things that shot golf balls down the hallway. 
I'm standing behind a wall of chicken wire, looking into the gun galley.
There's another layer of chicken wire and a long hallway of hanging metallic objects (like a hopefully-empty gas canister, cannonballs, pipes, etc) that you tried to hit.
There was literally no other point to this hole.
Just hit things.
CLANG!
Clearly, we fit in really well here.
Then the band started. 
All of the instruments had glowsticks and the players were in thick eyeliner and made crazy faces while playing.
Creepy songs like "Pink Elephants" from the Dumbo movie. 
Someone called this place "sooo seattle," but I hadn't seen anything like it up until that night.
The Seattle I knew was not at all like this.
Fun. Fun. Fun.
Highly recommend it for a group activity.

1 comment:

Amanda said...

that Pink Elephants song was probably my first ever memory of being creeped out.

Ok - so, this place looks super fun...good night out! And, now I understand the rational behind the "stank hole" photo you Instagrammed.