Get it?
Munchies : Hunger :: Competition : Games
Take one healthy obsession with District 12.
Add in:
+
+
a bit of butter.
Rigorously stir in:
a book club meeting with 15 girlfriends
And in 10 minutes, you have:
(like a rice krispie treat, but with pulverized oreos)
And BAM:
Thematic dessert to take to book club.
For those of you who have no idea what I'm talking about, The Hunger Games is a terrific three book series, with its first movie releasing today. While we were staying at Christine & Nikolai's in Chicago last summer, I made Trish stay up for 3 hours after we went to bed all because she started telling me a little bit about the story and I had too many questions to let her finish. I picked up the books a few months later and was hooked (Jamie's mid-book2). Between this series and the show "Downton Abbey", I have very little to bring to a conversation anymore. In fact, if I can't steer a conversation to these two topics within 3 minutes, I tend to back up slowly then turn and walk away.
Back to this dessert:
In The Hunger Games, kids from 12 different states/districts are selected to participate in a survival of the fittest competition. It's a contrived reality show type of situation with the only communication to their previous existence coming from silver parachuted goods delivered to them in the middle of the game. Each district has a designated specialty; the twelfth being responsible for mining coal in the most miserable type of lifestyle. The irony of the kids finally getting away from their coal-dusted community, placed in a life-or-death isolated world, craving some form of communication from their families/friends, and ending up with a measly pile of coal had me internally cracking up.
p.s. This dessert resonated with about 60% of the group. Womp, womp. <--sad noise
Other folks brought carrot soup, Capitol chocolate cake, seedy District 11 bread.
The treat itself was actually pretty good. I used reduced fat Oreos (superior in my mind, Newman's Own being my fave) and cut them into 24 bars. Prepare for eye-widening sugar rush if you have more than one.


5 comments:
how fun to do themed snacks for this book.
did anyone go hunting?
make dog stew?
patrick and i have both read the books.
but i'm going with work to see the movie this afternoon ... and now feeling a little guilty that i didn't decline the invite to go with patrick!
love!
i'm going later today--so excited!
i still need to read the books first. but looks like yummy treats for coal workers.
What else do you need to talk about but hunger games and downton abbey?
i'm halfway through reading the hunger games. i would've been in the 60%.
can't take my eyes off the pages!
Post a Comment