7.31.2011

So, you moved to Providence for the summer....

jamie, first day of summer internship.
i like taking photos of first days.

I realized I hadn't written much about the non-socializing, non-partying, non-costumewearing experiences of being a part of the business school experience. Probably because it was a nerve-wracking several months in between all that costuming and I am still nursing semi-permanent indentations on my fingers from keeping them crossed for good luck. The pressure of securing a solid summer internship during the two year program is so huge and so overwhelming, it'd give any bystander anxiety. I watched as jamie and my friends competed against one another for a limited number of spots with many of the most known companies in the business world.

it was a little riddonkabonk.

After what seemed like a million on/off-campus interviews and hours of agonizing decision-making (this one or that??), Jamie ended up with an internship with one of the largest toy makers in the world; home of Mr. Potato Head. And he's having a total blast. There are ten MBA interns from various programs (with whom we've had some quality off-work fun), he is loving the full-time people he works with, and after my visit to the office yesterday, I can understand why. "Testing" new toys on a daily basis (read: playing)? Running focus groups with kids (read: playing)? Taking out any aggression against your boss with the newest automatic Nerf Blaster (read: playing)? 

awesome.

I have personally had quite the leisurely summer so far; catching all sorts of fun television shows, divulging in many hours of internet research, traveling, and exploring this new area that may become our permanent home....emphasis on "may" (applying and interviewing for full-time positions will resume upon return to Tuck). We're 45min south of Boston, 45min north of Newport, about 1.5hours from Cape Cod, and I've made plenty of fun day trips to them all. Yes, it's peculiar and often unsettling to not be working right now, I'm trying to make the most of the liberty. Until we accept that final full-time offer, I will remain flexible and open-minded about what I'll be doing full-time (repeat mantra 15x/day for full effect)

we'll figure it out soon enough.

We have three more weeks of Providence life and I can't wait to get back to Hanover! The couple of trips "home" put the biggest grin smack dab in the middle of my face; all the familiar smells of our move-in last year, the GREEN back on trees and fields, the quiet. I just love it up there.

it'll be nice to not have to worry about our tires again.

(editor's note: we did just come across a terrific future home potential)

4 comments:

Ryan and Katie said...

I think we need to make our trip to the ne while you still live there!

Unknown said...

sounds like a super fun internship! go jamie go!!! and when you get that house, i'd like an invite to visit please!

debi g said...

can jamie get that mr. potato head for adam? it would fit nicely onto our back patio (after we remove everything else). and that home you found is quiet lovely and quaint. i hope that jamie gets a non-entry level position to help with that mortgage.

tricia said...

i think of you guys everytime i see a mr. potato head