Here's my more recent post at the Tuck Admissions blog....
Hope to start blogging here more regularly soon!
===================
This morning, a couple of prospective partners asked me about most common misconceptions about living the Tuck Partner life. I have to say, my favorite misconception to dispel is the one about being bored.
You know the one? The one about your student being so busy with school, you bound to sit around waiting, lonely and bored with absolutely nothing to do?
Ehhhhh!!! Loud Buzzer Sound!! False!!! Nope! Not true!
Thinking about this week in particular, I don't have a spare evening to myself. There used to be times I preferred to be a homebody, to have some quiet time, to get things done around the house. But since moving to the Upper Valley, I have wanted for nothing other than to get out and be actively involved in so many ways.
Here's a glimpse of my schedule this week (excluding my 9-to-5 job); some activities with my student, some without:
- 9am Buy crisp apples at the Killdeer Farmstand: Open in apermanent location across the river from campus, this spot is terrific to supplement any farmers market purchases. Right next door to a famous retailer of baking goods and their delicious cappuccinos (King Arthur Flour).
- 11am Brunch hosted by a friend: Waffles, pumpkin chocolate chip pancakes.
- Mid-day hike with the dog. Catchup on laundry, making a pie, and other home-things.
- 7pm Women's Tripod Hockey Practice: Regardless of skill-level, folks here sign up for hockey. From those who haven't even seen so much ice to those who have a mad amount of experience with the game. Personally, I have skated recreationally as a little kid (think: shopping mall ice rinks), know absolutely zero about offense/defense, and let me just tell you, this activity is SO.MUCH.FUN.
looking all sorts of foolish has become a little hobby of mine.
- 6pm Partner Board Meeting: The first meeting of our new board! As first year partners, we have the opportunity to hold positions on the board and to run committees that have high impact throughout the school year. Both the executive and general board will meet once a month.
- 9pm Ke$ha concert: While I doubt this to be something I would go to outside of Tuck, I joined many others at the Dartmouth Field House and sang my heart out last night (to the one song I knew). It was nothing short of terrific.

advantage of going to a concert in Hanover
= being 3 people from front stage
=plenty of room to move around, no sell-out
=$12 tickets for Tuckies
Tuesday -
- 6pm Gourmet Club: They emphasize involvement regardless of ability to cook. You can sign up to bring liters of soda, a bottle of wine, or a favorite recipe from your time at Le Cordon Bleu. It doesn't matter, it's mostly about the company and the love of eating.
I'm making mushroom phyllo bundles tonight....mmmmm.
Wednesday-
- 7pm Book Club: Each month, two partners pair up to host the group and provide something sweet, something savory, and drinks....can you sense a trend here? There's never a shortage of food! This month, we've been reading Let the Great World Spin by Colum McCann. I'm co-hosting tomorrow's event and I've read 23 pages so far...eep!
Thursday-
- 9pm Halloween Party: On-campus, debut of the Tuck Band, and Costume Contest with prizes. Based on costume parties earlier in the year, I'm assuming Tuckies are planning to go big for this one.
Friday-
- 1-3pm Tiny Tuckie Halloween Party: We don't have a Tiny Tuckie (read: child) of our own, but I've already grown so fond of our neighborhood kids, I simply can't wait to see them all decked out and riding a crazed sugar high.
- Tiny Tuckie On-Campus Trick-or-Treating: Staff and faculty stock up on goods to hand out to the little ones. Fun.
- Dartmouth Homecoming Weekend
Saturday-
- Tuck Fall Formal

As we enter the heart of the fall season, they say it's important to get outdoors as much as possible and to start identifying fun, cold-weather-friendly activities. We received our first snow storm* last week, but I'm surprised to find myself feeling a lot less panicky about any monotony the winter might bring. If the last couple of months are indicative of half the activities planned for the cold months, I think I'll have PLENTY to occupy my time.
*no, not really...locals called it "flurries". I may or may not be exaggerating and a little premature when calling it a "storm". Whatever, I'm from the west coast....it's a STORM.
6 comments:
my gosh you are a busy woman!
to me it reminds me of camp but with way better food! :)
I'm loving your life right now! xoxo
i am loving your life right now too! can't wait to visit soon :) just make sure it isnt TOO cold, ok?
its like undergrad and camp all rolled into one fun and amazing place.
wait, i'm seriously jealous of all your fun activities!!!! sounds like you guys are doing great. so happy you've found yourself in such a great place!!
i think you really lucked out! poor jk has to study! you get socials, fun, and no after-hours work.... except the occasional recipe or book club cram :).
btw, i miss you!
awww i miss leslie updates. all the fun you're having makes me smile.
man, how do these Tuckies have time to study? So much fun!
And, can we all come and be honourary Tuckie partners? Your life sounds like so much fun. To think you were dreading the small-town-ness and the winter...you're fitting right in!
Post a Comment