Jamie had been craving a vacation. Work had been madness for both of us and although I was lucky enough to have squeezed in Palm Springs the previous weekend, Jamie had been stuck at home doing some more work. So, he told me to pack up an overnight bag of casual clothes, bring some layers + sneakers, got our friend Kourtney to take the dog for the night, and threw me into the car heading north over the Golden Gate Bridge. Fun surprise impromptu Friday trip outta town.
We immediately hit some major traffic only made easier with a yummy stop at In-n-Out. Nonetheless, a bit over an hour's distance north of San Francisco, just a few miles off the 101, I found myself in front of Safari West, an exotic wildlife preserve and African tent camp! Yessssss. On a flight, years ago, we had watched a showcase of unusual hotels to explore and were impressed with the footage of this place so close to home. Both of us are pretty into animals, wildlife, and the works so this seemed like a grand ole time!
The following photos are a compilation of two separate tours; one on a jeep, the other on foot:
we checked into our luxury tent.
beer + coffee in hand, we were ready to safari.

the brave ones on top of our jeep.
springtime brings out all the baby animals.

"are you my momma?"
baby duck.

baby watusi cattle.

i tried to make this face all day.
big ass tortoise.

i stand by my distaste for flamingos.
they smell like overused, mildewy, rotten port-a-potties.

those guys up top are rumored to have begun the myth of the unicorn.
ostrich attacks our jeep.
blue diker licks jamie's hand.
smallest antelope @ 9" tall.
warthogs kick ass.
this red river hog came-a-running to us.

this guy was raised with goats and doesn't want to have anything to do with the other zebras.
cute and sad in one fell swoop.
"i want to eat your brain" - parrot.
"ack" - jamie.
me = so happy.

cool lookin' bird.
how cute are these guys?

i mean, really...so squishy cute.
cheetah about to attack.

and then the giraffes...

oh, the giraffes...
they stood almost 20ft tall and were simply majestic.

into the barn where they sleep at night.

baby giraffe.

we got a bowl of carrots, apples, and bananas to feed them.

hungry guy.

they nuzzled.
it was so quiet in the barn.
really, really quiet.

just the sound of carrots crunching in their mouths.
somehow not stinky at all.
and then...
he asked me to marry him.




22 comments:
i scrolled right to the bottom. YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yay!! I commented on the post below but I"m so excited I'll comment on this one too!!!
OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG!!!!!!!
all the OMG's were for the fun animals of course.
FINALLY! :) hehehehe sooo super duper excited for you siiisssthherr! :) the photographer did a really good job of capturing the sequence of events! :)
YAYAYAYAY!!!!
Congratulations! I KNEW that was an engagment ring!!
looove the pictures.
so hey, did we both get engaged in sonoma?
i left a long comment before, but i think it got sucked into the blog dryer... congrats so happy for you! youll make a beautiful bride!!!!!
CONGRATS!!!! LOVE IT! WE ARE SO EXCITED FOR YOU GUYS!!! CAN'T WAIT TO SEE YOU IN PERSON!!
congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i am so so happy for you! great guy, check. awesome ring, check. amazing proposal, check. who took all the pics?! amazing pics, very cool setting and i had no idea any of that existed?!?!! i wanna go!! i'm dying to do an african safari... i'd settle for your trek (a little closer and easier i imagine). you have some awesome pictures and i couldn't be happier for you. now, when do we all get to party and celebrate?! :)
I am so excited for you! I scrolled to the bottom and skipped all the other stuff. Then I checked your previous post. How did I miss that rock? CONGRATULATIONS! You deserve all the happiness in the world.
Conratulations times infinity!!! What a happy day!
Yay! So excited for you Leslie! Congratulations!
already commented on your facebook and on the last post but the excitment still has not worn off. YIPPPEEEEE!!!!! Seriously?! So so so SO exciting, I'm so happy for you guys. I was wondering when this happy day would come!
What did he say when he asked you? I mean, was there any reference to the fact that there was a ginourmous giraffe head looming over top of you? By far the coolest engagement story ever.
Congrats! I love that you have a giraffe in your photo!!
YAY! still can't get this smile off my face for you both!
aaaaaah omgeeeee! i just screamed & jumped off the couch and ran down the hall to get my phone to call you - scaring the dog & the bf. ;)
WHEEEEEEEEEEE!!!! CONGRATS!
left a comment on facebook. This was such an awesome post and I am so excited, but is it wrong to go back to the comment you made about the flamingo. Seriously, funniest description I HAVE EVER HEARD!
First of all, the ring is FABULOUS.
Second, again, most endearing, creative, best, engagement story ever.
Third. Um, the 'luxury tent' situation - bathrooms?
I am bawling. Sitting in front of the computer at my parents' house just bawling. I love this story. I love that you are getting married. I love Jamie for totally taking you off guard. Love it.
Can't say I was surprised. Katie called me while I was "out of range of internet" and told me, as did my cousin Liz. You inspire people that you have never even met...and you certainly inspire me.
Love you. So totally excited for you.
Woo-woo1 Congratulations, Leslie!
I think a giraffe-themed wedding is in order...
OMG- I just checked your posts for the first time in a long time! CONGRATULATIONS!!! We are so excited and can't wait to see you and celebrate with you soon (wishful thinking for new parents, but you never know!)
Post a Comment